ASCLA also invites independent librarians, library consultants, state library consultants of all types, regional library consultants and any librarians or library staff who help others learn and solve problems to join.
The Library Consultant Interest Group replaces the former Independent Librarians Exchange (ILEX) special interest section of ASCLA. Membership is open to all ALA members; ASCLA membership is required for those interested in leadership positions within the group. The group supports professional development by providing programs, information exchange and networking opportunities of interest to independent librarians, library consultants and others who want to push the boundaries of librarianship.
Several group activities are planned for 2012, including:
- An open hearing and discussion at the ALA Midwinter Meeting in Dallas about a draft ASCLA Library Consultants Code of Ethics.
- Two exciting 2012 ALA annual conference programs:
- “Essential Facilitation: Practical Tools for Guiding Groups” with Interaction Associates, Inc.
- “Consultants Give Back” where consultants can contribute an hour of free consulting to librarians seeking advice or seek consulting help from the consultants who volunteer their time.
- Building a collection of helpful resources, tools and discussions for Library Consultant Interest Group members on ALA Connect.
- Supporting ASCLA development of online learning opportunities re: topics of interest to library consultants (building on the success of ASCLA/ILEX consultant preconferences).
Join the group now by visiting the ASCLA Library Consultants Interest Group ALA Connect page and clicking on the “Join” button. ALA login is required in order to access the interest group page. Use this handy ALA Connect tip sheet (PDF) if you are having difficulty connecting. More information about all of ASCLA’s interest groups is available here. Interested in joining ASCLA? Learn more about member benefits and how to join at the ASCLA website.