This document is the first public draft of the standards sections of the proposed 2011 edition of the Revised Standards and Guidelines of Service for the Library of Congress Network of Libraries for the Blind and Physically Handicapped. The document was developed by the ASCLA NLS Working Team in consultation with the ASCLA NLS Advisory Team. The members of both teams are listed below.
We welcome your comments, concerns, and suggestions. Please communicate them to the Project Director:
6106 South Stillhouse Road
Oak Grove, MO 64075
On Monday, January 10, 2011 beginning at 11 a.m. Eastern Time, 10 a.m. Central, 9 a.m. Mountain, and 8 a.m. Pacific in Room 28D of the San Diego Convention Center there will be an open forum to discuss this first public draft of the proposed revised standards. This open forum will be held in conjunction with the Midwinter Meeting of the American Library Association. Everyone is welcome to attend and participate. If network configurations permit, this open forum also will be broadcast live online via OPAL (www.opal-online.org).
Based upon feedback and discussions, a second public draft will be released sometime in the first half of 2011, before the final draft is submitted to the ASCLA Board for consideration for approval in June 2011.
In addition to this first public draft of these proposed revised standards, the Working Team and the Advisory Team also are developing a smaller set of proposed revised guidelines regarding personnel and space. The first public draft of the proposed revised guidelines will be released soon.
For current and complete information about the process, outputs, and outcomes of this project to review and revise the Revised Standards and Guidelines of Service for the Library of Congress Network of Libraries for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, please visit the project Web site:
- Mike Marlin, California Braille and Talking Book Library
- Jill Lewis, Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
- Tom Peters (Project Director), TAP Information Services
- Stephen Prine (ex officio), Library of Congress National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
- Stephen Prine, Library of Congress National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
- Will Reed, Ohio Library for the Blind & Physically Disabled
- Stella Cone, Georgia Library for Accessible Services
- Margaret Conroy, representing the Chief Officers of State Library Agencies
- Kim Charlson, representing the American Council of the Blind
- Claudia Perry, representing the Blinded Veterans Association
- David Hyde, representing the National Federation of the Blind
- Mike Marlin (ex officio), California Braille and Talking Book Library
- Jill Lewis (ex officio), Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
- Tom Peters (ex officio), TAP Information Services