During the Annual Conference this summer, ASCLA President Diana Reese had the honor of making the presentation of the ASCLA Awards Ceremony held during the ASCLA/COSLA Reception on Sunday evening. This year, the event took place at the Hotel Monteleone in the French Quarter of New Orleans. The recipient of the 2011 Century Scholarship was Samantha Lee Wickman, a graduate student at Simmons College.
The application period for the 2012 ASCLA Century Scholarship is opening soon. This annual scholarship of up to $2,500 funds services or accommodation for a library school student(s) with disabilities admitted to an ALA-accredited library school. The scholarship will fund services or accommodations that are either not provided by law or otherwise by the university that will enable the student or students to successfully complete the course of study for a Master’s or Doctorate in Library Science and become a library or information studies professional. For more information on applying for 2012 visit: http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/ascla/asclaawards/default.cfm
The initial funding for the scholarship was made by an anonymous donor. Since its inception in 2000, numerous other donors have provided funding. Donations to the Century Scholarship fund may be sent to ASCLA, 50 E. Huron St., Chicago, IL 60611, ATTN: Century Scholarship Donation. All donations are tax-deductible.
Previous scholarship recipients* include:
- 2009 Amy Lynn Sonnie, San Jose State University
- 2008 Lela Ellison, University of Texas, Austin
- 2007 Cynthia Nugent, University of Southern Mississippi
- 2006 Avery Deane Olmstead IV, University of South Carolina, Columbia
- 2005 Ivan Murillo, San Jose State Universiy
- 2004 Jeffrey Thompson, University of California at Los Angeles
- 2003 Sara Lynn Hyder, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- 2002 Christine Anne Baynes, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
- 2001 Simon Healey, University of Pittsburgh
- 2000 Rebecca Van Scyoc, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
* No scholarship was granted in 2010.
The 2011 Century Scholarship Committee was chaired by Barbara T. Mates and included Kathleen Hegarty, Ruth Nussbaum, and Katherine Schneider, Ph.D.