The Working Team would like to request comments on the second public draft of the standards and guidelines of the proposed 2017 edition of the Revised Standards and Guidelines of Service for the Library of Congress Network of Libraries for the Blind and Physically Handicapped. The document was developed by a Working Team of librarians from NLS libraries and in consultation with an Advisory Team of stakeholders. Details for all members are listed below.
This second draft features a new staffing model in the guidelines section, which the Working Team developed to better meet the needs of those who provide NLS services. For many, the staffing models in previous edition remained a troublesome section. It became clear that something new needed to be created to provide the position-to-patron ratios that many rely on while still allowing for the flexibility that is necessary to assign FTE where they are most needed, especially in the changing world of libraries of the blind and physically handicapped. This new draft represents the hard work of the Working Team with the assistance of the Advisory Team members.
We welcome your comments, concerns, and suggestions via our Google Form: https://goo.gl/forms/48ODkejDDIHGiCRF2 or by email to:
Eura Szuwalski, Project Director
For current and complete information about the process, current documents and details on the outcomes of this project to review and revise the Revised Standards and Guidelines of Service for the Library of Congress Network of Libraries for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, please visit the project Web site: http://euraszuwalski.wixsite.com/asclanlsrevision.
- Danielle Miller (email@example.com ), Director & Regional Librarian Washington Talking Book & Braille Library. Representing the Western Conference
- Will Reed (firstname.lastname@example.org), OLBPD Manager, Cleveland Public Library/Ohio Library for the Blind & Physically Disabled. Representing the Midlands Conference
- Eura Szuwalski (email@example.com), Project Director for the revision process. Goleta, California.
- Adam Szczepaniak, New Jersey State Library Talking Book and Braille Center. Representing the Northern Conference
- Dr. Nancy Pack, Director, Alabama Public Library Service. Representing Chief Officers of State Library Agencies (COSLA)
- Kim Charlson, President, American Council of the Blind. Representing the American Council of the Blind
- David Hyde, Chairperson, Library Services Committee Chairperson. Representing the National Federation of the Blind
- Melanie Brunson, Director, Government Relations. Representing the Blinded Veterans Association
- Ava M. Smith, Division Director, Talking Book Program, Texas State Library and Archives Commission. Representing the Southern Conference
Feature Image: Braille by Victor Phung