Contributed by Carol Desch
The ASCLA Library Consultants Interest Group (LCIG) offered a well-received array of programs and activities during the 2012 ALA Annual Conference in Anaheim. The upcoming 2012-2013 year looks to be even more active and fun, under the leadership of new Interest Group chairperson Jeannette Smithee.
There are now over fifty LCIG members and membership continues to grow. New or experienced library consultants, independent librarians and any other ALA members may sign up for the Interest Group on ALAConnect at http://connect.ala.org/node/151445. Be sure to select the option to automatically receive new postings so you can stay up to date on Interest Group activities, issues, and discussions.
Here is a snapshot of 2012 Anaheim highlights and some upcoming 2013 activities:
• The ASCLA Board unanimously approved the ASCLA Library Consultant Code of Ethics.
• LCIG programs in Anaheim were very successful. Over 100 people attended the energizing ASCLA program Essential Facilitation and gave presenters Patty McManus of Interaction Associates, Nancy Bolt, and Ann Joslin high marks. The ASCLA program Consultants Give Back, cosponsored with PLA, continues to grow
• The ASCLA Board approved all three of LCIG’s proposed 2013 programs for Annual Conference in Chicago. Look for more information in forthcoming issues of Interface.
• Discussions are underway to once again offer the hugely popular Consultants Toolkit Preconference on Thursday and Friday morning at the 2013 Annual Conference in Chicago. Mark your calendars!
• Two open discussion forums are in the works for 2013 Midwinter in Seattle. These are informal and fun discussions for new and practicing library consultants on topics of interest to library consultants. If you are interested in facilitating a discussion forum, please contact Jeannette.
—What do I do now? Best practices for handling ethical dilemmas faced by library consultants.
—Can I promote my business on a shoestring? Best practices for promoting and marketing consulting businesses, with a focus on effective use of social media.
• The LCIG Leadership Team met to discuss plans for 2013 and beyond. 2012-2013 Leadership Team members currently include:
Jeanette Smithee, Chair
Allan Kleiman, Vice-Chair
Carol Ann Desch, Past Chair
Jean Porter, Secretary
Nancy Bolt, Member at Large
If you are interested in becoming involved in the ASCLA Library Consultants Interest Group Leadership Team, contact Jeannette Smithee at email@example.com.